This is the perfect recipe for the pressure cooker, it produces meltingly tender meat in 70 minutes. Fabulous for a party, simply prepare everything in advance and just let the pressure cooker do all the work. The pork does benefit from marinating in the spice rub overnight.
2.5 kg pork shoulder, remove rind and fat
1 tbsp. sugar
1 star anise
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1 tsp. Szechuan peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. garlic salt
1-2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and sliced into thick rings
2 tbsp. light soy sauce
3 tbsp. hoisin sauce
2 tbsp. rice vinegar or cider vinegar
8 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. runny honey
To serve, tortilla wraps, strips of cucumber and spring onion
1. Remove the rind from the pork and remove as much fat using a sharp knife as you can. Cut the pork into 4 large pieces, set aside for a minute.
2. Make the spice rub by blitzing the ingredients in a spice grinder or pounding with a pestle and mortar, until you have a powder. Using your hands rub this into the pieces of pork then place in a bowl and cover with cling film. Marinate this overnight in the fridge if you can, if not as long as possible.
3. When ready to cook, sear the pieces of pork in a little oil on the saute function until brown on all sides, remove from the pot for a minute. Cancel the saute function.
4. Add the onion in a layer on the bottom of the cooking pot and add the soy sauce, hoisin, rice vinegar and water. Sit the pork on top and turn the meat over to coat it in the sauce.
5. Select the Long Cooking function and increase the time to 70 minutes, cook under pressure. When the pork has finished cooking, release the pressure. Remove the pork from the pot and place on a serving plate and spoon a little of the cooking liquid over it. Leave the meat to rest covered with foil for 10-15 minutes.
6. While the meat is resting, bring the cooking liquid to the boil on the saute function and add the honey, leave this to reduce down to a thick consistency. Strain through a sieve if desired.
7. When ready to serve, shred the meat with two forks.
8. Serve the pulled pork piled onto a tortilla wrap with cucumber and spring onion strips and a good drizzle of the sauce, roll up and eat… YUM!