I have been a bit lax with the posts in recent months I am sorry. I keep getting hassled by everybody to post more recipes, so I will I promise 🙂 Here is one I made recently and it’s fab. Okay so it’s not the healthiest recipe but it will make you happy!
I love salted caramel in fact I would say I am slightly obsessed and as a result I came up with these. Yummy buttery shortbread with a delicious slightly chewy caramel. Go on make them you know you want to!
Makes 16 squares
250g plain flour
75g caster sugar
175g butter, softened
100g golden syrup
1x 397g condensed milk
¾ tsp Maldon sea salt
250g plain or milk chocolate
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4 and lightly grease a 23cm x 23cm brownie tin and line with non-stick baking paper, this will make it easier to lift out the finished square.
2. Make the shortbread by adding the flour and sugar to a bowl, add the softened butter and rub the butter and flour mixture together until it resembles damp sand. Knead the mixture together and then press the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth it out making sure it is as level as possible. Prick the shortbread lightly with a fork all over and pop it into the oven for 20 minutes until is light brown. Remove and let it cool.
3. To make the caramel, place the butter, golden syrup and condensed milk in a heavy bottomed saucepan and melt on a low heat until smooth, turn up the heat slightly and bring to the boil stirring continuously until the mixture turns golden brown and thickens, stir in the salt. Do not over boil otherwise it will turn to toffee!! ( I have done this and it was so hard! – people still ate it though!) Leave the caramel to cool slightly then pour it over the shortbread. Allow to cool completely.
4. Make the topping by melting the chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl over boiling water. When melted pour over the caramel. Leave to cool completely. If you place this in the fridge the chocolate will dull, if you can leave to set at room temperature this will ensure the chocolate stays nice and shiny.
5. Using a sharp knife cut into 16 squares, I clean my knife before I make each cut this is to avoid crumbs on the chocolate.
Enjoy 🙂 Don’t eat them all at once!